Andes

Andes

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Real World Santiago and Osorno tonight!






What a week in Santiago it has been. I have seen everything from the Santa Lucia Park in the middle of the city to the Mercado Central where I had delicious hake with mashed potatoes to the Cajon de Paiyu trails in the foothills of the Andes. I have drank Austral and Escudo (Chilean beer) with University of Chile students, danced with the kitchen staff in our hostel, played chess with a stranger in the Plaza De Armas, met people from Amsterdam, France, Luxembourg, and all over the USA, and received more stares from passersby than Justin Bieber at an all girls school. I even discovered an Italian pizza place that truly fed my appetite after the hostel dining experience was complete.

I have been in a city where they’re were riots taking place blocks away from me, where they await the World Cup and have put TV’s in place at work for their employees to watch the matches, where public display of affection is as common as a Completos hot dog stand (think McDonalds in USA), where stray dogs may outnumber the cities population, and where they refer to America as Gringolandia.

And now I find myself leaving for Osorno to meet my host family and head English teacher. I join three girls also traveling to my city and it all starts with a 12-hour bus ride Sunday night. This week has prepared me for the next six months of teaching as a member of the Gobierno de Chile’s “Ingles Abre Puertas” program. Myself and 53 other recent college graduates are being dispersed to every part of the country to teach English to children ranging from 9-17 in age. I look forward to the challenge and have received a very warm welcome from the Chilean Ministry of Education, my regional coordinators, and from all the friends made this week.

I can’t wait to head down south and meet my host family. Ciao and less than a week until USA vs. England!!!


Pictured:
1) Outside El Mercado Central
2) Coming down the mountain at Cayon Maipu
3) Four-year old who sat and ate dinner with us in San Jose de Cayon Maipu
4) View from Santa Lucia Park
5) Outside La Moneda (The presidential palace)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did that little girl know you were taking pictures of her?

    ReplyDelete