Andes

Andes

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bienvenido a Osorno, Part Uno






My first week in Osorno has been incredible. My host family is amazing, helping me out whenever I need it. The daughter, Dani was a lifesaver in more than one situation this week. While speaking with a local police officer so I could receive my Chilean ID, I thought he said, "Eres Casner?" or something of that sort. Well he actually said, "Eres casado?" or "are you married?" I said yes and Dani quickly corrected me. I mean come on, would my wife, if I had one, let me leave the country for six months without her? Food for thought.

My school, Colegio San Alberto Hurtado has got some cool students as well as professors. I have been invited to play with the professors soccer team and they play in the semi-finals this Tuesday. One day, my teacher did not arrive at the school until 10 am (miscommunication), so I sat in on the 5th grade History class. For an hour and 15 minutes I answered questions from, "Have you ever met anyone famous?" to "Why do you have so many pecas (freckles) on your face?" to "Are you a fan of NASA?" to my personal fav "Do you personally know Barack Obama?" I wish I could teach the 5th graders everyday but only have them twice a week. Otherwise I am solely teaching freshman and sophomores. They seem eager but I will really find everything out tomorrow- my first day of teaching!

I think my students will enjoy some of the angles I take and many of my ideas stream from past teachers whom I really enjoyed. I want to be helpful like Mr. Burgess, do the student biography on the wall like Mrs. O'Rear, and have incentives for learning like Mrs. Fuch.

Anyways, this weekend we had a huge asado, BBQ, welcoming party for me at my house. For four hours, we grilled, well they grilled while I watched the USA game (!!!), drank beer and red wine, and talked. Chileans are very nosy, in a funny way, and want to know everything about you. What is your longest relationship? Why don't you want more food? Is everything ok? What does America know about Chile? They are very touchy also and show love all the time. My mom says, "goodnight precious" to me and even that throws me off but it's how they act. One of our family friends, Christian knows some English but his favorite phrase is, "I'll be back baby." And his favorite beer is Budweiser!

Teaching begins tomorrow so I have to get to bed but more stories to come and hope everyone is enjoying the world cup. Oh and I have a feeling the quote from Forrest Gump, "And it rained somemore" will be used much. Day three of rain here in Osorno. Buenas Noches!

Oh some quick notes:
1) I sleep with five blankets covering me every night.
2) The pic with the family is showing their tributes to the Longhorns!
3) Someone asked me if I was Chilean the other day. Points for me
4) If you can see it, the students in the picture drew pictures of the Texas flag for class. Even more amazing.
5) One student told the Chilean English teacher the following, verbatuum: "Miss Andrea don't be jealous that all of us want to be in Senor Robert's class and not yours or Carlos'. We just want to hang out with Senor Robert and learn from him."
6) Wal-mart bought the grocery store right next to our house. Talk about expansion..

2 comments:

  1. oh and the picture with the tv is the "office" they set up for me to watch the world cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. see freckles are cute! you use to freak out when aimee and I comment on them! glad your having fun! keep me updated!

    ReplyDelete