Andes

Andes

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fear the Gringo




Each day I take the micro (bus) to school. I come home for lunch and go back in the afternoons. I tend to listen to my iPod and mind my own business until several of my students board the bus and sit next to me. We talk about music, mix Spanish and English, and revel in how they sat on the sofa all weekend watching TV. Nothing exciting. However, it is during the lunch-time travels where Chileans avoid sitting next to me at all costs. It's as if a force around me prevents them from 'popping a squat'. If their is a seat open next to me, they would rather stand than do so. I don't know what it is. I shower, use deodorant, the whole nine yards. But last week I couldn't help but laugh at how far two kids would go to avoid sitting next to me on the micro.

The day was Wednesday, August 11, 2010. I was listening to the likes of Robert Earl Keen, 'I'm Coming Home'. Nothing compares to some Texas country in southern Chile. And no I am not coming home for several months. Anyways, two boys probably in third grade, were arguing over which one was going to sit next to me. They pushed and shoved, until finally settling on a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors to decide their fate. At this point, I wanted to say something but couldn't stop laughing. Ultimately one of the kids sat next to me after much emotion from his loss. I think we have even progressed in our bus-riding relations as he sat next to me again later that week.

With all the hoopla about Chilean children, I am going to share some more stories about my Fifth graders. It's common knowledge that I have quite a techni-colored beard growing. It's mostly burnt orange, but I recently discovered a gray hair mixed in the bunch. One of my younger students, Sebastian, full of curiousity, asked me after class last Thursday, "Profe, why is your beard a different color than your hair?" Classic. He then grabbed at my beard and ripped some hairs from my beard. After confirming that he had in fact taken some of my hairs, he scampered out of my classroom smiling and laughing. Kids do the dangest things. This is also the same student that responds to everything I ask with, "Yes, I do!" ....What is today's date? "Yes, I do" How are you today class? "Yes, I do!" You get the picture.

Sticking with the same group of students, Jose, recently decided to watch several episodes of Simpson's. I can't blame him. I watch Simpson's everyday during onces with my family. However, Homer typically udders a few foul words in there. Thus Jose came into my class Monday morning full of new ideas, and when he forgot what 'skinny' meant in English, he said, "maldita sea" or damn it. He kept saying it over and over until I finally told him I understood him. I love my students so very much. They are hilarious.

In other news, our English Day at school is next Friday. The students are performing everything from Jeff Buckley's 'Hallejulah' to a Backstreet Boys song to a Mad TV skit, 'The Interview' to the Titantic theme song between Rose and that other guy Leo played. I plan on recording it for all to view.

Finally, here's an article the newspaper in Osorno published about me. Page 9, July 19, 2010. http://www.australosorno.cl/prontus4_nots/site/extra/pdp/pdp.html

2 comments:

  1. Red Beard strikes again!

    You might be interested to know I walked around Wrigley Field last week briefly while I was in Chicago.

    BTW the link doesn't work, could you copy and paste it, translate in google, and then email to me? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you sit in the same seat as Steve Bartman? they should add that to the tour! I'll translate it all for you haha. Hope DC is treating you well

    ReplyDelete