Andes

Andes

Friday, July 30, 2010

Winter Vacation 2010 coming...




It has been several weeks since my last post about Pucon (which seems like forever ago), and I have seen so much of this country since then. I was gifted with a three week winter vacation and had the opportunity to travel, travel, and travel some more. I took roughly 15 bus/taxi rides, two flights, and two ferries to accomplish it all. I will briefly fill y'all in on my travels before explaining in much more detail after I eat almuerzo.

First, my adventures took me to Lago Rupanco, a lake surrounded by five volcanoes in the Chilean Andes. We (two Americans and two Chileans) hiked to remote lakes, dug our own hot springs, fished for salmon, and visited waterfalls. We spent our nights in a hut made of bamboo listening to Chilean music, eating homemade sopapillas, drinking mate and Ron, and dancing around.

After four days there and a brief stint back home in Osorno, a group of volunteers and I flew from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas to take in the sights from the end of the world. After a day in Punta Arenas we headed to Puerto Natales on a three hour bus ride. The landscape was full of snow, ice, and strong southern winds. We stayed in the impeccable Erratic Rock hostal/guide service who outfitted us for our last minute decision to hike the W Circuit of Torres Del Paine National Park. It is one of the gems of the world and I am so fortunate to have had the opportunity. The hike is 50 miles long taking four nights and five days to accomplish. Here are some pictures to keep the interest high! I'll be back.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, dude your adventures sound awesome. I feel like Anthony Bourdain is writing this. Hope you're doing well, hit me up with an email soon.

    ReplyDelete