Andes

Andes

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One week left in Dallas!

Now only seven days away from journeying down to Santiago and the Chilean Andes and I have mixed emotions of nervousness and excitement. I am to the point where I am sick of talking about it and ready to get going on this shin-dig.

The most common question I am receiving is, "Why Chile?" First of all I was unaware of the impending winter that I will come to know so fondly, I've never skied, and the earthquakes happened three days after I applied. So perhaps I'm a bit crazy and ill-advised but the more and more I look at the country, the more I feel I could not have picked a better place. The people are said to be gregarious, welcoming, and full of life. The landscape is unlike anything I have ever seen (or heard as of now). And if that's not reason enough, soccer is kind of a big deal to them! Viva Chile en la Copa Mundial!

A few sidenotes:
1) Here is the hostel I will be staying in when I arrive in Santiago. It's in the middle of the Plaza De Armas, their oldest town square: http://www.plazadearmashostel.com/ingles.html
2) The books I have packed thus far: First two Harry Potter's, The Power of One, Brave New World, In Patagonia, and Soccernomics. Don't know how much room I'll have for anymore but I welcome suggestions.
3) I am going during the country's Bicentennial and the president-elect is preparing many activities for the green bean country!
4) When superimposed on the USA map, Chile extends from San Francisco to New York City.
5) An Argentinian man at a bar last now (get used to that intro but hopefully it'll be a girl next time), told me that man Chileans and Argentinians have light skin. Perhaps he was trying to comfort me or maybe I will fit in better than I thought.

That's it for now. I'm one week away from leaving and have to get my Mi Cocina, Burger House, FC Dallas home game, Rangers broadcasts, Bagel Bites, DMN Sports section, and cold beer (Chile is not known for having plentiful amounts of brews) fix for the next seven days. Adios and feel free to comment.

5 comments:

  1. Great stuff Bobbert..I'm excited for you! Get ready for some insanely ridiculous surroundings. Post some fotografías if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for my last post...Kirk was on my computer and wrote it.

    ReplyDelete